e enjte, 19 korrik 2007

Wat Bo Primary School in Siem Reap, Cambodia

I think I'm falling in love with Cambodia!

I've only been here a couple of weeks, but in that short time, this country has certainly captured my heart! The Cambodian people are so gentile, so hospitable and the students.... although coming from extreme poverty are so self confident... so enthusiastic to learn... in other words... they are just plain neat kids!




This morning I had a fascinating conversation with a ten year old boy whose English speaking skills amazed me. I noticed he'd completed the board assignment well ahead of the other students, so had a conversation with him. He told me he wants to become a medical doctor. He went on to tell me that both of his parents are doctors. He could even tell me what year they graduated from medical school! When I asked him where he wanted to go to school for his medical degree, he said Phnom Phen .. and the name of the University... however, he told me that he'd need to stay with his grandmother, and would much prefer to live with his parents in Siem Reap.



There's been a musical theme to this summer's teaching travels.... which began in Thailand and now are continuing into Cambodia.... Perhaps it is because my teaching this summer has focused on primary school children... and these little ones love to sing!



This week I've been teaching primary school children, ages 8 to 12, at Wat Bo Primary School in Siem Reap. After spending some time on basic English conversation, I taught the students how to sing "Row, row, row your boat....." The whole class picked up on the song very quickly and could sing not only the words perfectly, but also the melody!




With the basics of "Row, row, row your boat" memorized.... I split the class initially into two... and had them sing the song in harmony. This was a piece of cake for these students! So I split them again... this time into four groups and just that fast.... we had four part harmony going! So just guess what I've heard the childing singing and humming this whole week as I've taught them ...... yup... "Row, row, row your boat!"

Nuk ka komente: